- This event has passed.
Historic Building workshop, Traditional vernacular building construction and materials
May 3 @ 09:00 - 17:00£125
Historic Building workshops
The day’s course will consider in depth three aspects of building conservation.
- The care and repair of historic timber frames and roof structures
- Frame infill panels, plaster finishes and historic glazing.
- Problems of decay and methods of repair
The venue has been carefully chosen as Little Moreton Hall is one of the finest examples of traditional timber framed construction in the country. The building illustrate very fine 16th century Carpentry and joinery and surviving historic plasterwork and glazing. The day will include formal Power Point presentations, material handling sessions and first hand observations of the buildings. The morning’s presentations will be based at the nearby Egerton Arms where we will also have lunch. The afternoon will be spent looking at Little Moreton Hall so come suitably dressed for the weather conditions of the day.
Kevin Stubbs BA(Hons) DipBldgCons(AA) IHBC CertEd
Kevin Stubbs is a Historic Buildings Consultant and comes with a background of education, archaeology and building conservation. He was Director of Archaeology for the Test Valley in Hampshire and later moved to Hampshire County Council to join the Historic Buildings Bureau, where he became the Principal Buildings Conservation Officer for the County. For eleven years he acted as the Director of a Conservation Centre and now runs his own Historic Building Consultancy and Training Company.
He advises on the repair and maintenance of all historic structures and provides training at all levels for the building conservation industry. This includes the development of historic building technology, traditional materials and hands-on craft training. Work for Local Government Authorities includes Conservation Area appraisals, historic building condition surveys and feasibility studies. He has provided training exercises with local communities to raise awareness of their village plans and local heritage interpretation documents and he has provided Traditional Skills Awareness Courses for a number of bodies. He undertakes the Historic Analysis of buildings and produces: Statements of Significance; Method Statements; Impact Assessments and Specifications for the repair and conservation of traditional buildings.
He lectures for various CPD providers, Universities and national building conservation organizations including SPAB, RICS and the Weald and Downland Museum. Topics include: Bricks and Mortar; Lime, Plasters and Renders; Cob and Earth, Timber Frame and Stone Structures and Traditional Roofing.
The history and development of historic timber frames and roof structures
- The historic development of timber frames and roof structures from the medieval period to the 19th century
- Causes of decay and failure including mechanical failure, rot and insect attack.
- Approach to structural repairs, selection and use of materials and techniques.
- Case Studies
Historic infill panels and plasterwork
- The history and construction of historic infill panels, including wattle and daub and masonry.
- Early lime plasters and their application.
- The historic development of window glass and Glazing.
- Approaches to repair and replacement.
Little Moreton Hall
The hall sits on a medieval moated manor site and is likely to be a replacement of an earlier building.
The first phase of timber framed construction containing the great hall dates to 1504-08 for William Moreton who was a prosperous local landowner. Extra wings were added during the 16th century and the final phase completed in 1610. The buildings display the height of Tudor fashion with decorative framing, moulded plasterwork and even a 68 foot long gallery. At this time window glass had become readily available and the windows contain some 30,000 leaded quarries set in a variety of patterns.
The carpenter who worked on the building in1559 was so pleased with his work that it carries the inscription; “Rycharde Dale Carpenter made this windovs by the grac of god”
By 1892 the hall was almost derelict when Elizabeth Moreton inherited it. She began a programme of repair which included the insertion of steel rods to stabilise the long gallery as it was suffering badly from roof thrust. The hall was transferred into the ownership of the National Trust in 1938 and they have continued with a sensitive approach to repair.
Download the little moreton flyer
Download the booking form
Or book online below with a credit/debit card, to enter names of delegates if the booking is not for yourself [please use the note field
You can also call 07429 523183
10 people are attending Historic Building workshop, Traditional vernacular building construction and materials